Part 3: Drama in the hospital

29 Nov

Next drama, going to the hospital. Remember to read Part 1 and Part 2 of my home water birth if you have missed it. We waited for about 4 hours before we made our move to SJMC. I did not want to be stuck in evening traffic jam from Putra Heights to SJMC and traveling during Maghrib is never a good idea.Within that 4 hours, my hubby recited the Azan & Iqamat into our new baby’s ear. I could immediately tell from his shaky voice that he was still in a disbelief mode but I was really thankful that he remained as calm & confident as possible throughout the whole process. Then the other family members came into the room to welcome baby Ayfaa and we took some photos together in between my surges. Nadine‘s arrival with her two little darlings was a huge relief for me and I could not thank her more. She is my inspiration to have this unassisted home birth. After checking Ayfaa, my tear and looking at the blood, she calmly whispered some affirmations for me to visualize the birth of placenta. I drank some water, ate bananas & dates I have prepared earlier before the ‘marathon’ took place to regain back my energy. To be honest, I did not have the patience of more than 4 hours to wait for the birth of placenta. My motivation and energy level was going downhill and the after birth hormones did not help either. I could just pray hard that He would take care of me and my baby, strengthen my Mama-willpower and stay optimistic. Deciding to go to SJMC soon after is also an assurance to myself and other close family members who are not so pro-homebirth. I lost a lot of blood during my 1st pregnancy, I have got low blood pressure and after delivery, I knew I was loosing loads of blood. Therefore, admitting myself and baby for observation makes everybody happy.

8.00pm- My team had to be quick after all the clean-up and keep their energy high as I was losing mine. I did not want to be a drama Queen either or else it will trigger the panic button for everyone. What I did was I got myself into my Bohemian style maxi-dress with the help of Ezu to give myself another booze of motivation. Yup, I still have my newly born baby attached to me thru the umbilical cord. Sorry to disappoint you this time but I do not have a picture of this process. Once I’m all pretty and glowy (at least that was how I chose to believe at that moment), I walked myself down from my 1st floor room to the porch and into the car. The hospital bag was all packed and I kissed Aufa and congratulated him for being an Abang or Big Brother now. It is BIG deal to him. Great power comes with great responsibility. It would be our 1st time away from each other after almost 3 years and I could see from his eyes that it was going to be tough but he will be OK.



The 15-minute drive to the hospital was pretty smooth. I had some precious moments with my princess and rehearsed some ‘scripts’ for the hospital staff with my hubby. On the way there I managed to call in my ObGyn – Dr. D to inform her that I was on the way to the hospital. I knew she would be in pretty quick as everyday around this time she would be getting ready to her evening clinic. As we reached SJMC, we took the normal drop-off entrance instead of the Emergency as we know our way to the labor room and pre-admitted ourselves when I was at 39 weeks. I was wheel-chaired straight into labor room while being accompanied by hubby and Ezu. First, the hospital staff who pushed my wheel chair was surprised and panic a little while when he saw the baby was still attached to me with some blood dripping to add some drama. Then as the lift door opened to the labor ward (and a bit of Ayfaa’s crying to announce her arrival), almost all 6 midwives who were on stand-by there were almost screaming in panic when they saw me entering with my baby with the cord still attached. I had to calm them down and I could hear Ezu laughing at them behind. The next thing I know, the whole maternity staff know that SOMEBODY HAD A HOMEBIRTH!!! Almost all the staff (Dr, Midwives, Nurses, etc) who attended me for the next 2D2N there asked me for birth story. Of course I had to give another version of my story – “We could not make it on time” or “Tak sempat“. I’m sorry but we had to fib for the greater good.

Anyways, when my preferred midwife – Ms. L came in, she suspected that I had my hypnobirth at home and did not buy my Tak Sempat story. Dr. D came in later to check my tear and suspected too that I had the homebirth on purpose because we have discussed thoroughly my birth plan. She finally cut the cord, injected me to take out the placenta and stitch me up. I was really relief that my blood pressure was stable, blood lost normal and baby looking all good. All in all, they were all very supportive and accommodated our little demands here and there. Hubby was allowed to accompany the baby throughout the formal process until the baby was returned to me to feed and rest in the room. They accommodated to our request to leave the vernix on the baby’s skin until the next morning. I was very happy at the fact that our preferred pediatrician – Dr. K was on duty at that 10.30pm.  She was very supportive, understood and respect our decisions on why certain things we want to go all ‘natural’.

The bill of course was not a Hippie one. Some even wondered if they stitched me up using Gold threads from the look of the bill. At the end of the day, we are all very happy and syukur that everything went well….Alhamdulillah.

p/s: please feel free to Share, Like or Comment by clicking the Leave A Comment link below.


8 Responses to “Part 3: Drama in the hospital”

  1. Shuhada February 14, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

    Hei Kureen,

    What a great adventure u had in life. neways, congrats… eh, i nk share this k. thanx in advance.

    • kureen February 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

      Thanks Shuhada. It is my hope that this blog will continue to inspire as many people out there in some way or another as I love ‘adventure’! hahaha. u take care dear 🙂

  2. kureen December 1, 2011 at 11:59 am #

    Fei, kita kena maju ke hadapan, hehehe.
    Lisa, stay tune for Part 4 pulak.

  3. lisajunaidi November 30, 2011 at 10:38 am #

    xpuas baca, nak lagi erina -lisa-

  4. ayuni November 29, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

    gold thread!! haha. that one is classic.

  5. fei November 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

    Kawan ku dah ada blog…rock on babe…fei


  1. The birth of Puteri Ayfaa Eizdihar « Happy Hippie Avenue - January 26, 2012

    […] think this is the end? Find out in my next entry on the drama in the hospital. Share this:TwitterFacebookEmailPrintLike this:LikeBe the first to like this […]

  2. Being Pregnant and Keeping Fit « Happy Hippie Avenue - December 12, 2011

    […] and enjoy your pregnancy. Read more of my home water birth here from my Motivation, the Birth and Drama in the hospital. Aufa and Me swimming at 40 weeks pregnant Share this:TwitterFacebookEmailPrintLike this:LikeBe the […]

Share with me your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: